. . . . . Weather Radios are available from Emergency Mgmt. Call 785-527-5692. . . . The Courthouse, EMS and Highway Dept are open to the public - masks are encouraged. . . . .The Health Dept will be open for walk-ins beginning on September 23 on Wednesdays only, and remain closed to the public, with services by appointment the rest of the week. . . . . .County offices are also available via phone, fax, mail, or email. Paperwork may be delivered via the drop box on the east side of the courthouse. . . . . .The County Transportation bus is running. Call 785-527-2235 with questions. . . . .For the most current information on Coronavirus COVID-19, see websites and . . . .

The purpose of this County office is charged with: (1) enforcing the State Noxious Weed Law within the County boundaries and (2) providing information and material to help control and eradicate noxious weeds.

The Kansas Legislature has declared 12 weeds as noxious. They are:

Musk Thistle Field Bindweed Canada Thistle
Leafy Spurge Russian Knapweed Kudzu

Bur Ragweed

Quackgrass Sericea Lespedeza
Pignut Johnsongrass Hoary Grass

The four highlighted weeds are currently infesting Republic County.  Musk thistle, field bindweed, and johnsongrass has been treated in Republic County for many years.  Sericea lespedeza is the “new weed on the block” with land owners showing much concern and interest in controlling it.

The Kansas Noxious Weed Law, KSA, Chapter 2, Article 13, requires all persons who own or supervise land in Kansas to control the spread of and to eradicate all weeds declared by legislative action to be noxious. Copies of the State Weed Law are available at the Noxious Weed Office. 

KSA 2-1330 Entry upon and inspection of property. County commissioners, township boards, city officials and state, county and city weed supervisors shall have at all reasonable times, free access to enter upon premises and to inspect property, both real and personal, regardless of location, in connection with the administration of the state weed law.

Chemicals available at the Noxious Weed Office are for the treatment of noxious weeds only. All sales are final. When purchasing chemicals at the weed office, please supply the name of the owner, operator, applicator, legal description of the land, name of weed to be treated, the chemical to be used, the rate per of application per acre, and the amount of acres to be treated.

These chemicals include:

  • • 2-4-D Amine 4#
  • • 2-4-D LV ester 4#
  • • Tordon 22K (Picloram) Restricted Use Chemical.  You must have a current Pesticide Applicators Certificate to pick up restricted use chemicals
  • • Dicamba (Generic)
  • • Escort
  • • Remedy  (Sericea lespedeza only)

The current charges for weed treatment on private land in the county are available by calling the Weed Department at 785-527-2114.